Monday, July 1, 2013

June/July 2013 - Christa's Column & MGMA Board Newsletter

This month we celebrated Father's Day and we are still in the midst of Pride month around the country.  Congratulations to all the celebrants. I am certainly thankful for the love, pride and acceptance that I have received from my father - it is truly a blessing and it is the reason that I am able to be the person that I am today. Thank you, Dad.  It was his and my favorite Uncles ability to accept me as I was with every flaw, and see me for the person that I was and am now. Their love was transformative and inclusive of all I was to become as an adult. And for that I am truly grateful.

 The feeling of being included into  your family or any group that you may be a part of is important. It allows you to be who you are. In some circumstances, they make you a better person and allow you to grow into a bond that is at times frustrating, but can be wondrous as well.


This feeling of inclusivity led me to the Miss Gay Kansas City and Miss Gay Missouri America pageant system: The feeling of being included in a legacy of sisterhood that grows stronger every year and the good that this organization can do for the community at large. Not just the gay community, but, the ones in which we live, work and inhabit everyday. The ability to do good for someone or something  else outside of our own circle is an amazing feeling that I would like more people to play a part.


 I would like to formally invite former contestants and new entries to come join our family. Enter a local or state preliminary competition. Being included in this organization has been one of the most  amazing experiences I have ever been involved with. These ladies/gentleman have taken me under their wing and are teaching me to be a better  person as well as an entertainer. And I would like to pass these lessons along to you. Now I know that this takes time, money and effort so - I will talk to another group of people...


This is an informal invitation, a plea, if you will, to former and current and hopefully new promoters. I would like to humbly ask you to reconsider your role in this wonderful journey of legacy. The Miss Gay Missouri Board of Directors are truly gifted and talented at their jobs. There is not a detail or situation that is overlooked. They make sure everything is run smoothly, calmly, fairly and most of all, honestly. I think if you take a look at the new Board, consisting of six former Miss Missouri's, you will fall in love with the system all over again or for the very first time.

I want everyone to have this feeling of love and acceptance. I want you to have the feeling that what you do as an entertainer or as a person is important. I want to INCLUDE YOU in this family.  I have learned a great deal about myself so far and cant wait to share it with others. To know that love and keeping a positive spirit and attitude can not only change you, but the community and the world around you,is a powerful and wonderful feeling - that is the feeling I would like to share with all of you.  So contestants and promoters alike, come and share all this magic with us.

If you have any questions on becoming a contestant or a promoter,please feel free to contact me at ChristaCollinsMGMA2013@gmail.com. I look forward to talking to and meeting you all soon.


Prelims are coming around ladies: Miss Metropolitan will be held in Kansas City, Mo. on Sunday, July 21, 2013 at Sidekicks. Miss Gay Kansas City will be held on Friday and Saturday September 27 and 28 in Kansas City at Missie B's, Sidekicks and Hamburger Mary's and Miss Gay Springfield will be held in Springfield Mo. on Sunday October 20.


All of these pageants are open and offer amazing prize packages from some pretty terrific promoters . Get your packages together ladies and come out and be included in our festivities. I can't wait to meet and work with all of you

Miss Gay Missouri America 2013,
Christa Collins 


JUNE/JULY MGMA BOARD NEWSLETTER


I'd like to first take the time to thank the Board members of MGMA for believing in me enough to select me to sit on the Board. I'm so humbled by this, very scared - and excited too. I hope to learn and grow more as a administrator, person and entertainer.

With that being said, I can't believe it has been almost 17 years since I captured the title of Miss Gay Missouri America 1997. It sounds so long ago, I know! But it doesn't feel that long ago.It still remains to be one of my most proudest moments. I have went on to win numerous titles and place in the top twelve on a national level, but still feel the proudest about winning MGMA. 


It was my first state title, it was a dream come true. I was able to travel all over Missouri and beyond, as Miss Gay Missouri. I met so many wonderful people and connections upon which I still know and love to this day. I was treated like a true queen.Whereever I went people knew who and what title I was representing. It was incredible the way MGMA was received.


I didn't want to dissapoint anyone - not my MGMA family, my fans, contestants,  the people that selected me to be MGMA, and certainly not my drag mother, Vicki Vincent. Not only was it as important for me to be together on stage, but also as an administrator. I stayed involved with the promoters, contestants, bar owners and the community as a whole. After all, I was Miss Missouri and I did want everyone to know it. LOL


At the end of my reign, I had qualified 30 contestants. I had such and amazing time being MGMA, I didn't want my year to end. I was very fortunate to be giving my year up on the 25 Silver anniversary, At that Sheldon Concert Hall. The place was packed and all the formers that were able to attend, were there. I remember Miss Gay America, Maya Montana saying to me, "look out there girl, you must have done a great job as Miss Gay Missouri. Congratulations." That was the start of many tears for the night.


 It was the first time my mother had attended anything I had done in drag. I think she was shocked, to say the least. She thought I was just playing around in lady's clothes.LOL


At the end of the night I was sad, overwhelmed and couldn't believe a year had gone by. But to top it all off I was able to crown one of the best friends, people, mentors and sisters  I have ever had in this business. So it made it just a bit easier. I will never forget the year I had or final night, as long as I live!!


I'm so happy for Christa Collins, yeah!!! We have another Christa and she spells it different. Weeee!!!! I hope that she has as much of a wonderful time as I had. You have to put in the work and by the looks of it, you're not going to play!! The work is well worth it, years and years later.


I'm so excited to get this year off and running. Again, I hope not to disappoint anyone as I take my place on the Board. I may not know everything, but I'm sure willing to learn.


My door is always open and I have had to same cell number for 13 years. If its in my power, I'm going to help.

Thanks for your time, my time, and till the next time. So long.

  Randy Bryant/Krista Versace, MGM 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment